Saturday, October 5, 2013

Second Half Notebook

Here's my notes from the second half as I wrote them. Forgive the spelling and grammar mistakes. My editors editor's were polishing their resume's



The play standing as called almost makes the UT game Thursday better. It remained consistent with what they called Thursday. On the field takes precedent. It reminds me you guys really need to be following @big12refs if you're on Twitter. 

I said it on Twitter but this defense strikes me as having a spine. I doubt you can prove attitude statistically, but I'm sure there will be some Bill Young's defense was better stats here soon. Despite that we seem better on d. The attacking style is working. I can deal with the deep bombs for the sacks and the turnovers and the intellectually lazy swagger. 


3rd and 5 with 5 left in the third. The right guard and center frankly lose it and the play gets blown up. We can have all the debates we want about style, up tempo vs slow spread vs pro form...none of it matters with a bad line. Winning football has and will always start where the football starts. 

I got alarmed on Twitter when Chelf came in for JW. I thought it was for more than the mandatory 1 play for missing his helmet. It has nothing to do with either qb and everything to do with the apparent flailing for straws when no option is very good. How we're in a spot with such poor options at QB is astonishing. 

We might be at the point in his career where Gundy finally missed on coaches. I have no insight on who beyond what you as  with your own eyes. People will be moving on this year and lateral jobs will be posed as "aww darn, we lost him" 

Speculation on Twitter and calls for the return of Chelf make little sense to me. The o is not good. Tell me about the Times Chelf shined this year. It's not the QB and all of the switching may fracture the locker room. If you go back to Chelf how can you ever go back to BE if Chelf struggles?

5 min left in 4th. Amazing how much better Smith looks running into guys vs trying to run away from them. Up field is his direction. 


Our kicking situation. ...I'm going to be mature here and appreciate the kickers...and punters who have come before. It can't be easy to kick as a freshman so I'll just say I think they get better. 

Great camera work by ESPN showing JW watching the play clock at the end of the game .

Once again this defense has a 2011 feel with more attitude. Sadly they won't get enough respect because of the offense.

At this point in the season  and with what we've seen every win is a good win. I'm not sure  the line is something that gets Better with time. We are who we are at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment